Deep Freeze


We have hit a deep freeze here and it means that, currently, we are the coldest place on the planet. At -47 in the windchill yesterday, I kept the small kids home for a snow day since my garage door was complaining about working in the cold and I had to push it up manually in order to get my vehicle out. 

It warmed up to -36C today so I sent them to school. N and I packed on our winter clothes--snowpants, hats, mittens, neckwarmers, heavy jackets., clumpy boots. The doorknob on the front door was frosted *on the inside* and the air cut our faces the minute we walked out. The snow made a satisfying squeak--the sound that only deep freezes produce--under our feet and we walked in slow motion, carrying us towards the school.

We could feel the cold suspend our breaths even before they left our mouths and noses, the moisture creating icicles inside of us. N held her neckwarmer to her cheeks, I snuggled my face down into my jacket. It didnt help my glasses from freezing onto my cheeks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thingadailies: "Love after Love"